Sunday, November 25, 2007

Outside Reading Week 3 - Post A

Vocab:

  1. minimally (201): barely adequate or the least possible
  2. menagerie(212): a collection of wild or unusual animals
Figurative Language:

  1. "Although the wait is killing Uncle Al..."(218) This is an example of personification. Waiting is being given the human characteristic of killing. 
  2. "I break down in the confessional and sob like a baby..."(230) This is a simile. Jacob is comparing his crying to a baby's using 'like'.
  3. "He kicked and struggled like a mad man!" (223) This is also a simile. August is being compared to a mad man using 'like'.
Quote:

"I kneel in front of her, searching her face for a signal to stay. After an agonizing wait, I realize I'm not going to find one. I kiss her on the forehead and leave. " (222) Jacob leaves Marlena and swears to himself that he'll leave her for good. I find this very hard to believe since he's in love with her. I don't he will be able to get over her just like that. This is a good idea if Jacob will actually be able to stick to his plan. He needs to get over her asap before he gets into more trouble with August. 

Theme:
The theme of looking out for yourself is defiantly still emerging, and the theme of greed is too.

No comments: